Slug Pellet Free – Natural Slug and Snail Control

Do Slugs Carry Disease?

Slugs and snails found in the UK are not themselves poisonous, however they can carry the lungworm parasite larvae Angiostrongylus vasorum. Also known as French heartworm, the parasite is most dangerous to dogs that eat infected slugs and snails and it can be a fatal condition if left untreated. The good news for dog owners is that if diagnosed and treated early enough by a vet the animal will typically make a full recovery.

Humans Eating Slugs

Although the lungworm parasite larvae is not dangerous to humans, eating a garden slug or snail is probably not best advised, even for a dare! In Australia, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands slugs and snails are known to carry the Angiostrongylus cantonensis parasite larvae, also known as rat lungworm. Slugs and snails that come into contact with infected rate faeces can pick up the parasite. When ingested by a human it can in rare cases cause eosinophilic meningitis and can be fatal without proper treatment.

Even Ray Mears the famous British wilderness and bushcraft expert doesn’t recommend eating slugs and snails as they often feed on wild mushrooms, many of which are highly toxic to humans.

Tags: , ,

Posted in Get Rid of Slugs


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>